Consider Becoming a Foster Family
In Manitoba, 11,000 children are in care. Among the province's largest providers of specialized foster services, MYS is always looking for diverse & dynamic families to join our family of caregivers. Indigenous families in particular are in high demand & integral to helping Indigenous youth heal & reclaim their relationship with Mother Earth, Father Sky & all our relations.
MYS foster families throughout Manitoba provide safe & loving homes where kids 21 & under are nurtured & wrapped in critical supports that help them thrive & stay connected to their families, culture & communities.
Through a holisitic team approach, families, case managers, social workers, therapists, respite workers & others in a child's circle of care work together for the best possible outcomes. Special care is also taken to assess each home's characteristics, including its urban or rural setting, the availability of suitable school programs & the personalities of others living in the home.
For more information & applications call:
What does it take to become a foster family?
- Space: in your home to accommodate a child or children.
- Time & Energy: to meet kids' daily needs (parenting, appointments, meetings, training & lots more!)
- Understanding: of the basics of child development & impact of trauma
- Commitment: from you & your family to ensuring a safe & secure home, where children have plenty of opportunities to stay activie & engage with family & community.
Four easy steps to getting started:
- Complete an application with some basics on you & your family
- Meet us for an interview so we can learn more abouat you & you can learn more about MYS.
- Participate in a home safety inspection & background checks for all adults living in your home.
- Through a series of questionnaires & interviews, we'll continue getting to know your family & expectations before submitting your application for a foster license.
Alternative Parent Homes & Purple Martin
MYS Alternative Parent Homes & Purple Martin program offer specialized short & long-term care for kids 21 & under with emotional, behavioural, social &/or medical challenges that require special support & supervision. Purple Martin is a partnership with Winnipeg Child & Family Services.
MYS foster families have entire teams of support...
MYS will guide you through a process to ensure the best possible match between your family & potential foster children. A case manager will visit your home regularly & is always available by phone, text or email. Your team will also include respite support & more.
Plus, variety of training opportunities (including 20-plus hours required training annually) will enhance your skills & teach you everything you need to give children everything they need.
Extended supports for strong, resilient families
MYS is committed to reunifying families whenever possible & helping foster families with strategies to maintain contact & healthy engagement with children's biological families.
Annual evaluations & license reviews offer opportunities to improve your skills, while quarterly meetings provide a chance to network with other families & learn about new programs, supports & events.