Careers with MYS
Full-Time Youth Care Worker
Application deadline: 08-07-2020
SUMMARY: Macdonald Youth Services requires an experienced Youth Care Worker (YCW) within the Healing Homes service area. YCWs are responsible for providing care and specialized treatment for the youth in the Healing Homes program. YCWs ensure that programming is provided for the youth within the policies and treatment philosophy of MYS.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: of the YCW include, but are not limited to:
• Provides 24-hour supervision of clients;
• Acts as a healthy role model and ensures that the needs of the youth are the primary focus in the treatment process;
• Maintains an awareness of the needs of the youth and structures a therapeutic living unit that attends to the physical and emotional needs of the youth, ensures a holistic approach is consistently applied regarding the youth’s needs;
• Provides the opportunity for the youth to observe and participate in a variety of community activities, with the YCW engaged in the activity as well;
• Performs house maintenance duties including but not limited to washing floors, cleaning bathrooms, kitchen, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, pulling of weeds etc.;
• Assists the Clinician/Therapist in identifying treatment needs of youth team in formulating and evaluating treatment objectives involving family members and significant others whenever possible;
• Assists the treatment Participates in the development of Treatment Plan Objectives and identifies opportunities for treatment objectives to be achieved within the community school and family;
• Transports youth when necessary whether that is in an agency vehicle or transit;
• Completes incident reporting as outlined by Licensing Standards.
• Distributes medications as outlined by Licensing Standards;
• Compiles all documentation of youth’s activities, therapy as required and prepares reports as required/assigned.
• Actively pursues the educational requirements for YCWs, as directed by MYS policy.
• Certificate or diploma in Child & Youth Care (other combination of education and experience may be considered);
• Two years’ experience working with at risk youth;
• Knowledge of trauma and resilience informed care as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Strong counseling skills and experience in behavior management;
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract (subject to approval);
• Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C and Mental Health First Aid & Safe Talk will be considered an asset;
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, a clear Child Abuse Registry check with acceptable Prior Contact checks and a clear Adult Abuse Registry check, all done within the last 3 months;
• ASIST Certificate (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) and NVCI Certificate (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training) preferred;
• Knowledge of Indigenous customs, traditions, and beliefs will be considered an asset.
SALARY RANGE: Depending on qualifications, per annum. MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan.
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week. Must be available to work days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
CLOSING DATE: 12pm/noon – July 8, 2020
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Human Resources
175 Mayfair Ave
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3L0A1
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.