Careers with MYS
Full-Time, Part-Time, & Overnight Youth Care Practitioner
Application deadline: 20-04-2020
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3407
SUMMARY: Macdonald Youth Services requires experienced Youth Care Practitioners (YCPs) within our level four and level five healing homes. YCPs are responsible to provide care and specialized treatment for the youth. YCPs ensure that programming is provided for the youth within the policies and treatment philosophy of MYS. All responsibilities regarding our youth are carried out within a youth-centered, relationship-based strengths framework that promotes the cultivation and mobilization of youth strengths, potentials, and capacity for growth.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: of the YCP include, but are not limited to:
• Provides 24-hour supervision of clients;
• Acts as a healthy role model and ensures that the needs of the youth are the primary focus in the treatment process;
• Maintains an awareness of the needs of the youth and structures a therapeutic living unit that attends to the physical and emotional needs of the youth;
• Provides the opportunity for the youth to observe and participate in a variety of community activities, with the YCP engaged in the activity as well;
• Performs house maintenance duties including but not limited to washing floors, cleaning bathrooms, kitchen, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, pulling of weeds etc.;
• Assists the Clinician/Therapist in identifying treatment needs of youth;
• Assists the treatment team in formulating and evaluating treatment objectives involving family members and significant others whenever possible;
• Participates in the development of Treatment Plan Objectives and identifies opportunities for treatment objectives to be achieved within the community school and family;
• Transports youth when necessary whether that is in an agency vehicle or transit;
• Completes incident reporting as outlined by Licensing Standards;
• Reports inappropriate behaviors to the Program Manager and / or Coordinator;
• Ensures a holistic approach is consistently applied regarding the youth’s needs;
• Distributes medications as outlined by Licensing Standards; Compiles all documentation of youth’s activities, doctor, dentist, therapy as required;
• Provides appropriate family / significant other involvement with the youth;
• Provides feedback to the Program Manager regarding youth’s progress.
• Certificate or diploma in Child & Youth Care (other combination of education and experience may be considered);
• Two years’ experience working with at risk youth;
• Knowledge of trauma and resilience informed care; Strong counseling skills and experience in behavior management;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract (subject to approval);
• Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C;
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, a clear Child Abuse Registry check with acceptable Prior Contact checks and a clear Adult Abuse Registry check, all done within the last 3 months;
• ASIST Certificate (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) and NVCI Certificate (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training) preferred;
• Mental Health First Aid & Safe Talk will be considered an asset;
• Knowledge of Indigenous customs, traditions, and beliefs will be considered an asset.
SALARY RANGE: $37,440.00 - $46,080.00 annually depending on qualifications per annum
HOURS OF WORK: Successful applicants may be asked to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays.
CLOSING DATE: 12:00 pm/noon – April 10, 2020
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Kisewatisiwin Program
102-83 Churchill Drive
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.