Careers with MYS
Mentor - Kieswatisiwin (Thompson, MB)
Application deadline: 27-02-2020
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3394 (REPOST)
POSITION: Mentor - Kisewatisiwin (Thompson, MB)
SUMMARY: Macdonald Youth Services requires a Mentor within the Kisewatisiwin (KISE) service area in Thompson, MB. The Mentor will provide support to program participants and act as a resource to help them succeed in achieving their goals for education and employment, and ultimately to make a successful transition into independent living. Program participants may be referred from Manitoba Child & Family Services Authorities/Agencies; other community organizations; or may self-refer and must be enrolled or eligible for EIA and are 16-21 years of age.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: of the Mentor include, but are not limited to:
• Acts as a positive role model for youth, students and mentors;
• Trains and supports youth in program activities;
• Provides supervision of youth;
• Provides guidance and support, which includes mentoring and giving instruction regarding skill development while working alongside youth;
• Makes links and connections with participants in the community to support their skill development while working alongside youth;
• Makes links and connections with participants in the community to support their skill development utilizing volunteer work and participant goals;
• Follows youth individual plans in the community and makes links between the case plan and community activities with the participants;
• Acts as an advocate on behalf of the best interest of the youth and acts to ensure that their rights are respected;
• Ensures all participants receive support, encouragement and follow-up;
• Documents program information and communicates concerns or incidents with the team;
• Identifies and communicates concerns and updates regarding community programming;
• Shares information regarding community programming with the team;
• Transports youth safely to and from activities;
• Acknowledges and adheres to all policies and procedures of MYS;
• Attends all Mentor related orientation, training and evaluations, as necessary;
• Attends meetings as required.
• Certificate or diploma in Child & Youth Care (other combination of education and experience may be considered);
• Experience working with high-risk youth, preferred;
• Knowledge of Northern cultures, preferred;
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract (subject to approval);
• Willingness to obtain First Aid/CPR Certification;
• Minimum of 18 years of age;
• An interest in children;
• Capable of performing physical duties;
• Demonstrated problem solving abilities;
• Positive, non-judgmental attitude & acceptance of cultural differences;
• Knowledge of child development and family systems;
• Ability to effectively communicate with parents and children;
• Willingness to work flexible hours as required.
SALARY RANGE: $37,440-$46,080. This position is also entitled to a Northern allowance equal to an additional five percent (5%) of the salary. MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan.
HOURS OF WORK: 80 hours bi-weekly. Day and evening shifts Monday-Friday.
CLOSING DATE: 12:00 pm/noon – February 27, 2020
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Kisewatisiwin Program
102-83 Churchill Drive
Thompson, MB R8N 0L6
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.