Careers with MYS
Part-Time Youth Care Practitioner – Healing Homes
Application deadline: 23-01-2020
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3387
POSITION: Part-Time Youth Care Practitioner – Healing Homes
SUMMARY: Macdonald Youth Services requires an experienced Youth Care Practitioner (YCP) within the Healing Homes service area. YCPs are responsible to provide care and specialized treatment for youth in the Healing Homes programs in accordance with agency policies and the treatment philosophy of MYS.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: of the YCP include, but are not limited to:
• Helps to provide a safe, therapeutic environment for clients;
• Provides care and assists clients in their daily routines;
• Follows all agency and program policies and procedures;
• Functions as a team member, and serves as a role model for clients;
• Supervises and participates in activities with clients;
• Provides ongoing counseling and crisis intervention;
• Participates in the development and implementation of realistic goals and objectives;
• Observes, records and evaluates daily events to assist with Assessment/Treatment planning;
• Provides clients with information on various subjects such as: health, personal hygiene, sex education, fitness/diet, life skills, career development, job/employment preparation and skills;
• Encourages family involvement when appropriate/possible;
• Acts as an advocate on clients’ behalf;
• Completes incident reports and prepares quarterly progress or assessment reports;
• Handles program funds as directed by the Program Manager;
• Participates in staff meetings, workshops and training opportunities;
• Accesses and utilizes community resources for clients and their families;
• Attends to housekeeping, cooking and general duties related to home upkeep.
• Certificate or diploma in Child & Youth Care (other combination of education and experience may be considered);
• Two years’ experience working with at risk youth;
• Knowledge of trauma and resilience informed care;
• Strong counseling skills and experience in behavior management;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract (subject to approval);
• Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C;
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, a clear Child Abuse Registry check with acceptable Prior Contact checks and a clear Adult Abuse Registry check, all done within the last 3 months;
• ASIST Certificate (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training);
• NVCI Certificate (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training) preferred;
• Mental Health First Aid & Safe Talk will be considered an asset;
• Knowledge of Indigenous customs, traditions, and beliefs will be considered an asset.
SALARY RANGE: Depending on qualifications, per annum.
HOURS OF WORK: 0.6 FTE. 24 hours per week. Must be available to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
CLOSING DATE: January 23, 2020
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Human Resources
175 Mayfair Ave
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3L0A1
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.