Careers with MYS
Summer Student Activity Worker – Healing Homes
Application deadline: 13-06-2019
This position is a Summer Student position that is dependent upon funding.
In order to apply for this position you must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Is 30 years of age or younger at the time of job placement
2. Was registered as a fulltime student during the preceding academic year
3. Intends to return to school on a fulltime basis during the next academic year
4. Is a student in a post-secondary, CEGEP, vocational or technical program
5. Is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and,
6. Is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations
This is a term position for up to 8 weeks/2 months of employment, dependent upon funding.
SUMMARY: Macdonald Youth Services requires an experienced Activity Worker within the Healing Homes service area to provide care and specialized programming for the youth in the Independent Living with Supports (ILS) program for a Government funded Summer Student position. The Summer Activity Worker works alongside the treatment teams to assist in planning, organizing and implementing summer recreational programming and activities.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: of the Activity Worker include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, organizing and implementing summer recreational programming and activities
- Participating in activities and supervising residents during activities
- Assisting with daily living tasks (e.g. daily routines, chores)
- Recording information, planning and attending staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: (in addition to the above noted requirements)
- Previous education and/or experience in an applicable Human Services field
- Valid driver’s license and driver’s abstract (subject to approval)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Current Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) would be an asset
- Good organizational/problem solving skills
- Experience with and/or sensitivity to cultural and diversity issues
- Knowledge of Indigenous languages and cultures would be considered an asset
- Flexibility in providing youth with direction in the community
- Ability to set clear limits while keeping the youth’s needs in mind
- Current (within 3 months) Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, and Child Abuse Registry Checks, or willingness to obtain prior to placement start date
- Willingness to obtain training as per MYS policy
SALARY RANGE: $13.00 per hour
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week. 280 hours in total.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3270.05.19
CLOSING DATE: 12:00 pm/noon – June 13, 2019
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Human Resources
175 Mayfair Ave
Winnipeg Manitoba R3L0A1
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.