Careers with MYS
Full-Time Street Reach Worker – Healing Homes
Application deadline: 29-05-2019
SUMMARY: Macdonald Youth Services requires an experienced Street Reach Worker within the Healing Homes service area. The Street Reach Worker provides services for clients of the MYS managed care system and works with Street Reach to locate other missing high risk children and youth who are in danger of becoming victims of sexual exploitation, or who have already become victims of sexual exploitation. The Street Reach Worker is responsible for providing services with the Street Reach Team which include working in the field, paperwork, reporting requirements, etc. Working with Macdonald Youth Services staff, the Street Reach Worker gets to know the young people that are identified through Street Reach and the places they are likely to go when they are absent without authorization (AWA) from placement. Working closely with Child & Family Services, and other community contacts, the Street Reach Worker locates and ensures youth are safe.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: of the Street Reach Worker include, but are not limited to:
- Engage and develop relationships with clients in placements with MYS (group homes, foster homes), their families and at places they frequent
- Liaise and build relationships with staff teams and foster parents in MYS service areas
- Establish and maintain contact with clients in all MYS placement programs and all children identified through Street Reach
- Assist Street Reach Winnipeg workers and respond to requests to locate and return children/youth that have been determined as High Risk Victims (HRV) to placement or families
- Meet regularly as a member of Street Reach Participate in community outreach activities, in partnership with Street Reach, other outreach services and Winnipeg Police Service/RCMP
- Maintain documentation and statistics
- Become familiar with and communicate both community risks and resources available to youth
- Identify and report predators/people sexually exploiting children, as well as identify and report locations where children are being sexually exploited
- Other duties as assigned
- Diploma/certificate in Child and Youth Care or other relevant discipline with a minimum of 2 years' experience in front line work, including outreach services. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- CPR, First Aid and Non Violent Crisis Intervention training required
- Valid driver's license and drivers abstract (subject to approval) required
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, a clear Child Abuse Registry check with acceptable Prior Contact checks and a clear Adult Abuse Registry check, all done within the last 3 months required
- Ability to produce high quality work and meet deadlines within a demanding environment
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to work as a team member in a complex environment while organizing time/workload
- Ability to build effective working relationships and partnerships with individuals, groups and organizations in the community
- Extensive trauma informed knowledge of the issues faced by Aboriginal children/youth
- Willingness to obtain training as per MYS policy
- Extensive knowledge of child sexual exploitation, addiction issues and other relevant health, justice and social issues as well as knowledge of provisions in CFS Act and Criminal Code of Canada in relation to Prostitution, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse offenses, and Children's rights preferred
- Knowledge of community agencies working with high risk children/youth in the Winnipeg area preferred
- Awareness of high risk communities or places where youth are being exploited/placed at risk preferred
- Knowledge of Aboriginal culture and language would be an asset
SALARY RANGE: $36,080 - $54,120 d.o.q. per annum. MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours per week. Monday – Friday (8:30 am – 4:30 pm) must be able to work some evening shifts to meet operational needs of service delivery.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3262.05.19
CLOSING DATE: 12:00 pm/noon – May 29, 2019
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Human Resources
175 Mayfair Ave
Winnipeg Manitoba R3L0A1
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.