Careers with MYS
Part Time Term Youth Care Practitioner
Application deadline: 15-03-2019
Part Time Youth Care Practitioner Term – Youth Resource Centre
Approximately a 4-month term position
SUMMARY: Macdonald Youth Services requires an experienced Youth Care Practitioner (YCP) for a Part Time position within the Youth Resource Centre (YRC). The YCP is responsible to provide shelter, crisis intervention, client case decisions and planning as well as basic needs service provision to at-risk youth, in an emergency shelter setting, from a Strength-based clinical philosophy. YCPs are also responsible for working together with other teams in the best interest of client’s and the overall mission and purpose of the program.
YCPs duties and responsibilities are carried out within a trauma and resiliency informed framework that promotes MYS’ Therapeutic Model of Care, including the agency Mission, Guiding Principles and the Circle of Courage® values. Duties are performed within a team environment that focuses on establishing collaborative and trusting relationships with one another and with agency clients. Providing culturally competent services and ensuring client safety, choice and control are priorities at MYS
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: of the YCP include, but are not limited to:
- Assesses client cases and problems solves
- Makes good client case decisions based on the program’s purposes statement
- Performs shelter intakes, assessments and registration duties
- Provides counselling and crisis intervention
- Performs various administrative duties related to client care
- Supervises, provides service and basic needs care to clients
- Performs general facility tasks, chores and routines
- Attends staff meeting and training as required
- Works in collaboration with other teams
- (Occasionally) takes on an in-charge role, overseeing the shifts and providing direction when needed in the Senior Youth Care Practitioner’s absence
- Other duties as assigned
- Certificate or diploma in Child & Youth Care (other combinations of education and experience may be considered)
- Experience working with at risk youth
- Experience in Crisis counselling
- Knowledge of trauma and resilience informed care
- Current First Aid and CPR Level C
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search (current within 3 months)
- Clear Child Abuse Registry Check and acceptable Prior Contact checks (current within 3 months)
- Clear Adult Abuse Registry Check (current within 3 months)
- NVCI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Skills Training); Suicide Intervention (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, or comparable); and Child Development as per MYS policy (or willingness to obtain)
- Degree in an applicable human services field (preferably B.S.W.) will be considered an asset
- Ability to actively contribute to and work effectively as part of a team
- Working knowledge of community resources and experience in community partnership
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills
- Knowledge of Indigenous languages and cultures
SALARY RANGE: Salary will be prorated to the part time position.
MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan.
HOURS OF WORK: Rotating weekends – day shifts are Saturday and Sunday 7:00am – 7:00pm, Night shifts – Friday Night – 11:00pm to 7:00am, Saturday 7:00pm to 7:00am and Sunday 7:00pm to 7:00am
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3214.02.19
CLOSING DATE: 12:00pm/noon - March 15, 2019
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Human Resources
175 Mayfair Ave
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3L 0A1
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. All job offers are conditional upon providing the following satisfactory, and current (within 3 months) background checks: Child/Adult Abuse Registry Check; Prior Contact Check; and Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.