Careers with MYS
Full-Time Youth Care Practitioner (Specialized Individual Placement)
Application deadline: 18-01-2019
SUMMARY: Macdonald Youth Services requires experienced Youth Care Practitioner (YCP) within the Specialized Individual Placement (SIP) Service Area. YCPs are responsible to provide care and specialized treatment for the youth in the SIP program. YCPs ensure that programming is provided for the youth within the policies and treatment philosophy of MYS and SIP.
YCPs duties and responsibilities are carried out within a trauma and resiliency informed framework that promotes MYS’ Therapeutic Model of Care, including the agency Mission, Guiding Principles and the Circle of Courage® values. Duties are performed within a team environment that focuses on establishing collaborative and trusting relationships with one another and with agency clients. Providing culturally competent services and ensuring client safety, choice and control are priorities at MYS.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: of the YCP include, but are not limited to:
- Provides 24-hour supervision of clients
- Acts as a healthy role model and ensures that the needs of the youth are the primary focus in the treatment process
- Maintains an awareness of the needs of the youth and structures a therapeutic living unit that attends to the physical and emotional needs of the youth
- Provides the opportunity for the youth to observe and participate in a variety of community activities, with the YCP engaged in the activity as well
- Performs house maintenance duties including but not limited to washing floors, cleaning bathrooms, kitchen, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, pulling of weeds etc.
- Assists the Clinician/Therapist in identifying treatment needs of youth
- Assists the treatment team in formulating and evaluating treatment objectives involving family members and significant others whenever possible
- Participates in the development of Treatment Plan Objectives and identifies opportunities for treatment objectives to be achieved within the community school and family
- Transports youth when necessary whether that is in an agency vehicle or transit
- Completes incident reporting as outlined by Licensing Standards
- Reports inappropriate behaviors to the Program Manager and / or Coordinator
- Ensures a holistic approach is consistently applied regarding the youth’s needs
- Distributes medications as outlined by Licensing Standards
- Compiles all documentation of youth’s activities, doctor, dentist, therapy as required
- Prepares reports as required and / or assigned
- Provides appropriate family / significant other involvement with the youth
- Provides feedback to the Program Manager regarding youth’s progress
- Attends staff meetings as well as team building and case conferences when required
- Liaises with community agencies and services as required
- Actively develops positive relations with neighbors, landlords, employers, schools and others
- Represents the organization both formally and informally in a professional manner
- Engages in regular supervisor and formal evaluation meetings with the Program Manager
- Actively pursues the educational requirements for YCPs, as directed by MYS policy
- Cooperates with other related disciplines in the delivery of service
- Other duties as assigned
- Grade 12 (or equivalent)
- Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C (or willingness to obtain)
- Valid driver’s license and driver’s abstract (subject to approval)
- Current (within 3 months) Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, or willingness to obtain
- Current (within 3 months) Child Abuse Registry Check, or willingness to obtain
- Child & Youth Care Worker diploma or degree in an applicable human services field (pref. BSW)
- Previous experience working with youth
- A combination of education and experience may be considered
SALARY RANGE: $30,720 - $46,080 d.o.q per annum. MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan.
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours a week
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, and if they prefer full or part time hours. Please also quote the competition number in your application.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3188.01.19
CLOSING DATE: interested candidates are requested to submit a resume by 12:00 noon January 18/19.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Human Resources
175 Mayfair Ave
Winnipeg Manitoba R3L0A1
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. All job offers are conditional upon providing the following satisfactory, and current (within 3 months) background checks: Child/Adult Abuse Registry Check; Prior Contact Check; and Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.