Careers with MYS
Casual Youth Care Practitioners – Transition Services (ILS)
Application deadline: 22-10-2019
Full-time, part-time, casual and term positions may be hired from this posting.
Macdonald Youth Services requires experienced Youth Care Practitioners (YCPs) within the Independent Living with Support (ILS) Program. YCPs are responsible to provide care and specialized treatment for the youth in accordance with agency policies and the treatment philosophy of MYS. YCPs are also responsible to carry out all duties and responsibilities within a youth-centered, relationship-based strengths framework that promotes the cultivation and mobilization of youth strengths, potentials and capacity for growth within the Therapeutic Model of care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: of the YCP include, but are not limited to:
- Helps to provide a safe, therapeutic environment for clients
- Provides care and assists clients in their daily routines
- Follows all agency and program policies and procedures
- Functions as a team member, and serves as a role model for clients
- Supervises and participates in activities with clients
- Provides ongoing counselling and crisis intervention
- Participates in the development and implementation of realistic goals and objectives and shares same with program Therapist and Program Manager
- Observes, records and evaluates daily events to assist with Assessment/Treatment planning
- Provides clients with information on various subjects such as: health, personal hygiene, sex education, fitness/diet, life skills, career development, job/employment preparation and skills with a focus on readiness for independence
- Encourages family involvement when appropriate/possible
- Acts as an advocate on clients’ behalf
- Completes incident reports and prepares quarterly progress or assessment reports
- Handles program funds as directed by the Program Manager
- Participates in staff meetings, workshops and training opportunities
- Accesses and utilizes community resources for clients and their families
- Attends to housekeeping, cooking and general duties related to home upkeep and within the goals of clients’ independent living skills
- Other duties as assigned
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C (or willingness to obtain)
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) or comparable training; NVCI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Skills Training) or willingness to obtain
- Willingness to obtain training as per MYS policy
- Child and Youth Care Worker diploma or certificate, or a degree in an applicable human services field (preferably B.S.W.) with at least one year of experience in the youth care field
- Knowledge and experience with groups and group dynamics
- Knowledge of Aboriginal culture and language would be an asset
- A desire to work with youth
- Computer skills
- Working knowledge of community resources and experience in community partnerships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Valid driver’s license and drivers abstract (subject to approval)
- Vehicle with all-purpose insurance
Casual Positions: $13.00- $14.33 per hour
Salaried Positions: $30,720 to $46,080 d.o.q per annum (pro-rated to part-time or term hours).
MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan (for salaried/permanent positions).
HOURS OF WORK: will depend on the specific position applicants are hired into. Evening and weekend shifts are available, with the possibility of moving from casual hours to part-time or full-time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 909.00.00
CLOSING DATE: ongoing
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Human Resources
175 Mayfair Ave
Winnipeg Manitoba R3L0A1
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Aboriginal persons, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. All job offers are conditional upon providing the following satisfactory, and current (within 3 months) background checks: Child/Adult Abuse Registry Check; Prior Contact Check; and Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.