Careers with MYS
Full Time Youth Care Practitioner – Kisewatisiwin (Thompson, Manitoba)
Application deadline: 11-12-2018
Macdonald Youth Services (MYS) requires an experienced Youth Care Practitioner (YCP) within the Kisewatisiwin (KISE) service area in Thompson, Manitoba. The YCP provides care and specialized treatment for the youth in KISE programs in accordance with agency policies and the treatment philosophy of MYS.
YCPs duties and responsibilities are carried out within a trauma and resiliency informed framework that promotes MYS’ Therapeutic Model of Care, including the agency Mission, Guiding Principles and the Circle of Courage® values. Duties are performed within a team environment that focuses on establishing collaborative and trusting relationships with one another and with agency clients. Providing culturally competent services and ensuring client safety, choice and control are priorities at MYS.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: of the YCP include, but are not limited to:
- Helps to provide a safe, therapeutic environment for clients
- Provides care and assists, clients in their daily routines
- Follows all agency and program policies and procedures
- Functions as a team member and serves as a role model for clients
- Supervises and participates in activities with clients
- Provides ongoing counselling and crisis intervention
- Participates in the development and implementation of realistic goals and objectives
- Observes, records and evaluates daily events to assist with Assessment/Treatment planning
- Provides clients with information on various subjects such as: health, personal hygiene, sex education, fitness/diet, life skills, career development, job/employment preparation and skills
- Encourages family involvement when appropriate/possible
- Acts as an advocate on clients behalf
- Completes incident reports and prepares quarterly progress or assessment reports
- Handles program funds as directed by the Programs Manager
- Participates in staff meetings, workshops and training opportunities
- Accesses and utilizes community resources for clients and their families
- Attends to housekeeping, cooking and general duties related to home upkeep
- Other duties as assigned
- Grade 12 (or equivalent)
- Current First Aid and CPR Level C (or willingness to obtain)
- NVCI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Skills Training);
- Suicide Intervention (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, or comparable)
- Child Development as per MYS policy (or willingness to obtain)
- Valid driver’s license and driver’s abstract (subject to approval)
- Child and Youth Care Worker diploma or certificate, or a degree in an applicable human services field (preferably B.S.W.) and at least one year of experience in the youth care field.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge and experience with groups and group dynamics
- A desire to work with youth
- Working knowledge of community resources and experience in community partnership
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills
- Knowledge of Indigenous languages and cultures would be considered an asset
SALARY RANGE: $30,720 - $46,080 d.o.q. per annum. This position is also entitled to a Northern allowance equal to an additional five percent (5%) of the salary.
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3175.11.18
CLOSING DATE: interested candidates are requested to submit a resume by 12:00 noon December 11/18.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Kisewatisiwin Program
102-83 Churchill Drive
Thompson, MB R8N0L6
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. All job offers are conditional upon providing the following satisfactory, and current (within 3 months) background checks: Child/Adult Abuse Registry Check; Prior Contact Check; and Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.