Careers with MYS
Full Time Residence Workers – Kisewatisiwin (The Pas, MB)
Application deadline: 15-12-2018
There is the possibility for additional positions to be hired from this posting (may include different hours of work)
Macdonald Youth Services requires experienced Residence Workers within the Kisewatisiwin (KISE) service area in The Pas, MB. Residence Workers are responsible to perform all the duties and responsibilities that are consistent with Macdonald Youth Services’ policies and philosophy, the Vulnerable Person’s living with a Mental Disabilities Act and the Department of Family Services’ Service Purchase Agreement with the Agency.
Residence Workers duties and responsibilities are carried out within a trauma and resiliency informed framework that promotes MYS’ Therapeutic Model of Care, including the agency Mission, Guiding Principles and the Circle of Courage® values. Duties are performed within a team environment that focuses on establishing collaborative and trusting relationships with one another and with agency clients. Providing culturally competent services and ensuring client safety, choice and control are priorities at MYS. This position falls under the collective agreement.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: of the Residence Worker include, but are not limited to:
- Support residents with the preparation, implementation and follow through of the Person Centered Plan in conjunction with the support network
- Introduce and implement training plans and activities
- Teach residents self-management skills to encourage as much independence as possible
- Identify and implement strategies and problem solving techniques
- Utilize different communication styles and skills as necessary
- Maintain positive and effective communication with residents, families, supervisors, agencies, co-workers and community at large
- Complete necessary documentation and records accurately
- Ensure residents property and equipment is maintained in a clean and safe working order; support and assist the residents to ensure home is clean and sanitary on a regular basis
- Ensure compliance with fire safety regulations; participate in monthly fire drills, practice fire safety procedures and standards as outlined in facility binder
- Ensure that hazardous waste and materials are properly stored and disposed of; collect and dispose of garbage and hazardous waste, ensure home is clean and sanitary, ensure proper and safe storage of hazardous materials
- Ensure safe storage of medications and first-aid supplies as outlined in Residential Care Licensing Manual, be familiar with in house drugs and side effects as listed in safety binder
- Ensure adequate supervision and assess areas of risk for residents
- Ensure food safety in food preparation, storage, and eating utensils
- Attend to residents physical, emotional and medical care: monitor and provide basic health and medical care, provide medical, dental and optical care as necessary, report and record medical information as required
- Administer medications accurately following guidelines of Residential Care Licensing manual, and documenting on Medication Administration Record (MAR) sheets
- Provide nutritious meals and snacks in accordance with the Canada’s Food Guide
- Recognize and respond to concerns of abuse and neglect; follow reporting process for concerns of abuse and neglect as outline in the Vulnerable Person’s Act
- Follow procedures for infection control; safe handling of body fluids and blood
- Other duties as assigned
- Emergency First Aid, or willingness to obtain
- Valid driver’s license
- Grade 12 education, or equivalent
- Experience supporting adults with disabilities
- Ability to work as a team member in a team environment
- Knowledge of Indigenous languages and cultures would be considered an asset
SALARY RANGE: $28,600 d.o.q. per annum. This position is also entitled to a Northern allowance equal to an additional five percent (5%) of the salary. MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3167.11.18
CLOSING DATE: interested candidates are requested to submit a resume by 12:00 noon December 15/18.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Kisewatisiwin Program
102-83 Churchill Drive
Thompson, MB R8N0L6
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. All job offers are conditional upon providing the following satisfactory, and current (within 3 months) background checks: Child/Adult Abuse Registry Check; Prior Contact Check; and Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.