Careers with MYS
Casual Respite Support Workers - Alternative Parent Homes & Purple Martin
Application deadline: 01-01-3000
This is a casual position with no guaranteed hours
Macdonald Youth Services requires experienced casual Respite Support Workers to work within the Alternative Parent Home (APH) and Purple Martin (PM) program areas. The respite support worker (RSW) provides supervision and becomes a safe role model in a supportive relationship with the child/youth in making healthy decisions and life choices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: of the RSW include, but are not limited to:
- Ensures the safety of the child/youth at all times and provides support during a crisis
- Provides care following the direction and guidance of the foster parent, and in conjunction with the child/youth’s care plan
- Locates community resources and plans appropriate recreational opportunities appropriate to age and developmental level
- Completes and provides necessary documentation – including daily log reports, incident reports, mileage and respite sheets
- Informs foster parents and/or Support Supervisor of any concerns or issues that arise
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS NECESSARY TO DO THE JOB:
- Experience in and understanding of child/youth/adolescent development
- Experience working with children/youth who have physical & cognitive disabilities
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Knowledge of community resources
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Valid driver’s license and a vehicle, or access to one
- The ability to accommodate a foster child in your home
- Possess a current (within 3 months) or willingness to obtain a Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Search – required before employment begins
- Possess a current (within 3 months) or willingness to obtain a Child Abuse Registry Check and Prior Contact Check – required before employment begins
- Current Emergency First Aid/CPR certification or willingness to obtain
- NVCI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention) certification
- Suicide Intervention Skills Training
SALARY RANGE: $11.55 - $13.00 per hour.
HOURS OF WORK: casual position, with no guaranteed hours – various shifts including days, evenings and weekends
CLOSING DATE: ongoing
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position.
Please forward a covering letter, resume, in word or PDF format, quoting the competition number to:
Macdonald Youth Services
175 Mayfair Ave, Winnipeg, MB - R3L 0A1
COMPETITION NUMBER: 905.00.00
MYS is an equal opportunity employer: Aboriginal persons, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. All job offers are conditional upon providing the following satisfactory, and current (within 3 months) background checks: Child Abuse Registry Check; Prior Contact Check; and Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.