Careers with MYS
Youth Care Practitioners - Specialized Individual Placement Service
Application deadline: 01-01-3000
Full-time, part-time, casual and term positions may be hired from this posting.
Macdonald Youth Services requires experienced Youth Care Practitioners to work with the Specialized Individual Placement (SIP) Service. The successful applicants will be working with high needs female and /or male adolescents who are dealing with various mental health issues and/or the effects of FASD.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES: of the YCP include, but are not limited to:
- Assists the treatment team in formulating and evaluating treatment objectives involving family members and significant others whenever possible
- Participates in the development of Treatment Plan Objectives to youth specific day programming
- Identifies opportunities for treatment objectives to be achieved within the community school and family
- Maintains an awareness of the needs of the youth and structures a therapeutic living unit that attends to the physical and emotional needs of the youth
- Observes, evaluates and records daily events to assist with treatment planning and implementation
- Ensures that legal and human rights of the youth are respected and preserved
- Completes incident reporting as outlined by Licensing Standards
- Reports concerning behaviours and/or safety issues to the Program Manager and/or Coordinator
- Provides, supports, participates and supervise youth in a variety of community activities
- Acts as a healthy role model and ensures that the needs of the youth are the primary focus in the treatment process
- Performs house cleaning and maintenance duties including yard work and snow removal
- Actively develops positive agency relations with external collaterals
- Provides 24-hour supervision of clients
- During the day and evening shifts the SIP staff provides one to one supervision at all times
- Any unsupervised outings are part of the treatment plan and supported by the Social Worker, Clinician/Therapist and Program Manager
- Grade 12 or equivilant
- An understanding of trauma, substance abuse and mental illness including FASD
- Ability to perform duties within a team environment that focuses on establishing collaborative relationships between care providers and youth, and places priority on youth’s safety, choice and control
- Knowledge of resiliency theory, and the principles of the Circle of Courage
- Current First Aid / CPR / AED certificate is mandatory
- Valid Driver’s License
- Possess a current (within 3 months) or willingness to obtain a Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search)
- Possess a current (within 3 months) or willingness to obtain a Child Abuse Registry Check
- Willingness to obtain Suicide Intervention skills training
- Knowledge of aboriginal culture and language would be an asset
- Child and Youth Care Diploma or Certificate or a Degree in an applicable Human Services field, or a combination of education and experience may be considered
SALARY RANGE: $27,727.49 to $43,000 d.o.q per annum. MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan. Salary will be prorated to the part time and term positions.
HOURS OF WORK: Varies depending on which position hired for. Successful applicants will be required to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
CLOSING DATE: ongoing
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position.
Please forward a covering letter and resume quoting the competition number to:
Macdonald Youth Services
175 Mayfair Avenue, Winnipeg, MB – R3L 0A1
COMPETITION NUMBER: 908.00.00
MYS is an equal opportunity employer; Aboriginal persons, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. All job offers are conditional upon providing the following satisfactory, and current (within 3 months) background checks: Child Abuse Registry Check; Prior Contact Check; and Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.