Careers with MYS
Youth Care Practitioners - Kisewatisiwin (Thompson, MB)
Application deadline: 01-01-3000
Full-time, part-time, term and casual positions may be hired from this posting.
Macdonald Youth Services requires experienced Youth Care Practitioners (YCPs) within the Kisewatisiwin (KISE) service area in Thompson, MB. YCPs provide care and specialized treatment for the youth within the programs in accordance with agency policies and the treatment philosophy of MYS. YCPs are responsible to carry out all duties and responsibilities within a youth-centered, relationship-based strengths framework that promotes the cultivation and mobilization of youth strengths, potentials and capacity for growth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: of the YCP include, but are not limited to:
- Helps to provide a safe, therapeutic environment for clients
- Provides care and assists clients in their daily routines
- Follows all agency and program policies and procedures
- Functions as a team member, and serves as a role model for clients
- Supervises and participates in activities with clients
- Provides ongoing counseling and crisis intervention
- Participates in the development and implementation of realistic goals and objectives
- Observes, records and evaluates daily events to assist with Assessment/Treatment planning
- Provides clients with information on various subjects such as: health, personal hygiene, sex education, fitness/diet, life skills, career development, job/employment preparation and skills
- Encourages family involvement when appropriate/possible
- Acts as an advocate on clients’ behalf
- Completes incident reports and prepares quarterly progress or assessment reports
- Handles program funds as directed by the Program Manager
- Participates in staff meetings, workshops and training opportunities
- Accesses and utilizes community resources for clients and their families
- Attends to housekeeping, cooking and general duties related to home upkeep
- Other duties as assigned
- Grade 12 (or equivalent)
- Current First Aid and CPR Level C (or willingness to obtain)
- NVCI, Suicide Intervention and Child Development as per MYS policy (or willingness to obtain)
- Valid driver’s license and drivers abstract (not required for all positions)
- Current (within 3 months) Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search (or willingness to obtain)
- Current (within 3 months) Child Abuse Registry Check and Prior Contact Check (or willingness to obtain)
- Child and Youth Care Worker diploma or certificate, or a degree in an applicable human services field (preferably B.S.W.) and at least one year of experience in the youth care field. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge and experience with groups and group dynamics
- Knowledge of Aboriginal culture and language would be an asset
- A desire to work with youth
- Computer skills
- Working knowledge of community resources and experience in community partnerships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
SALARY RANGE: $27,727.49 to $43,000 d.o.q per annum. MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan for employees in permanent/salaried positions. Salary will be prorated to the part time and term positions.
HOURS OF WORK: Varies depending on which position hired for. Successful applicants may be asked to work a variety of shifts including days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 901.00.00
CLOSING DATE: ongoing
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Kisewatisiwin Program
102-83 Churchill Drive
Thompson, MB R8N0L6
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Aboriginal persons, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. All job offers are conditional upon providing the following satisfactory, and current (within 3 months) background checks: Child/Adult Abuse Registry Check; Prior Contact Check; and Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.