Careers with MYS
Full-Time Team Leader - Kisewatisiwin (Thompson, MB)
Application deadline: 27-01-2020
COMPETITION NUMBER: 3389
POSITION: Full-Time Team Leader - Kisewatisiwin (Thompson, MB)
SUMMARY: To assist the Program Coordinator in both the daily operation and development of the program and to ensure all responsibilities towards the youth are carried out within a trauma and resiliency informed framework that promotes MYS’ Therapeutic Model of Care, including establishing collaborative and trusting relationships. Providing culturally competent services and ensuring client safety, choice and control are priorities of MYS.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: of the Team Lead include, but are not limited to:
• Fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of the program’s Youth Care Practitioner;
• Provides 24-hour supervision of clients;
• Acts as a healthy role model and ensures that the needs of the youth are primary focus;
• Maintains awareness of the needs of the youth and structures a therapeutic living unit;
• Provides the opportunity for the youth to observe and participate in a variety of community activities, with the YCP engaged in the activity as well.
• Provides vacation and other time off coverage for the Program Coordinator;
• Provides on-call coverage as required;
• Completes administrative duties, as assigned by the Program Coordinator, these duties may include:
o Assists with interviewing and hiring of Youth Care Workers;
o Trains Relief/Casual Youth Care Practitioners;
o Orientates new staff;
o Coordinates the distribution of information;
o Schedules meetings; schedules home maintenance;
o Performs financial and purchasing responsibilities, such as replenishing program supplies;
• Participates in on-going professional development to increase knowledge in the field and increase skill level to continue meeting developing employment needs;
• Supports the program to reflect the MYS agency and Human Resource policies and program protocols;
• Represents the program and the agency in a professional manner.
• Certificate or diploma in Child & Youth Care (or equivalent certificate or diploma) with a minimum of 4 years’ experience in the youth care field or degree in an applicable human services field (BSW preferred) with 2 or more years’ experience in the youth care field;
• Supervisory experience/training (including financial management);
• Knowledge of trauma and resilience informed care;
• Strong counseling skills and experience in behavior management;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract (subject to approval);
• Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C;
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, a clear Child Abuse Registry check with acceptable Prior Contact checks and a clear Adult Abuse Registry check, all done within the last 3 months;
• ASIST Certificate (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) preferred or willingness to obtain;
• NVCI Certificate (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training) preferred or willingness to obtain;
• Willingness to obtain necessary training as per agency training policy;
• Knowledge of Indigenous languages and cultures would be considered an asset.
SALARY RANGE: Depending on qualifications per annum. This position is also entitled to a Northern allowance equal to an additional five percent (5%) of the salary. MYS offers a competitive benefit package and pension plan.
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week. Works a variety of day, evening and weekend shifts.
CLOSING DATE: 12pm/noon – January 27, 2020
Applicants must demonstrate in their resume or cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position, quoting the competition number.
Please forward a cover letter and resume (in Word or PDF format) prior to the closing date, to:
Macdonald Youth Services – Kisewatisiwin Program
102-83 Churchill Drive
Thompson, MB R8N 0L6
MYS is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MYS is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit our website www.mys.ca.